தமிழ் நண்பர்கள் அனைவருக்கும் இனிய தமிழ் புத்தாண்டு வாழ்த்துக்கள்.
Today is Thamizh new year. The 'Vikruthi' year ends and 'Kara' year starts. I wish all the thamizh readers a very happy new year ahead. Here comes the special recipes of new year. From the menu shown above the one is steel tumbler is new year chutney, then vermicelli milk gheer and the bottom one is urad dhal vadai.
1. New year chutney
Learnt this recipe from my ugadhi (ughadi is telugu new year) celebrating friends. This chutney is made from ingredients of 5 prime taste (sweet, salt, bitter, sour and umami). An indication that life is filled with diff experiences (tastes).
Jaggery or sugar - 2 tbs (Sweet taste)
Tamarind extract - 1 tbs (Sour taste)
Finely chopped raw mango - 1 tbs (the skin of raw mango gives umami taste)
Crushed neem flower - 1/2 tbs (Bitter taste)
Salt - a pinch
Mix all the above ingredients in 1 cup of water. Stir till jaggery dissolves.
2. Vermicelli milk Gheer
Vermicelli - 2 cups
Milk - 4 cups
Sugar - 1/2 cup (we eat less sugar. adjust for ur taste)
Cashew nuts - 10 nos
Dry graphes - 10 nos
Ghee - 1 tbs
- Boil milk in a thick bottom vessel .
- In the meantime, heat 3 cups of water in a vessel. Add vermicelli and bring them to boil & vermicelli gets cooked well. Drain water completly. We can cook vermicelli in milk also, but milk may curdle sometimes. Better cook them separately.
- By this time milk may came to boil and reduced its quantity. Now add cooked vermicelli and cook for 5 mins in medium flame.
- Add sugar and mix well. Do not cook for long after adding sugar.
- Roast cashew nuts n dry graphes in 1 tbs of ghee and garnish. Serve hot / cold.
3. Urad dhal vada.
Please refer my previous post Urad dhal vada.