1. Ulundhu / Urad daal (whole white lentil) - 1 cup
2. Big brown onion - 3/4 finely chopped
3. Green chili - 3 nos finely chopped
4. Cilantro / coriander leaves - 1/2 handful finely chopped
5. Asafeotida / hing - pinch
6. Salt to taste
7. Curry leaves - 6 nos finely chopped
1. Wash and soak the urad daal for 3 hours (1 - 1 1/2 hours is also enough). Wash the soaked urad daal and strain water completely. Grind the urad daal with salt & hing into a tight batter. Add 2 tbs of water for ease of grinding. Do not add water more than that.
2. To the batter add onion, green chili, cilantro and mix well.
3. Heat oil in a pan for deep frying. Drop small balls of batter into the oil. Stir with a slotted laddle so that the batter ball will be coated with golden brown color in all the sides. Intially while dropping the ball the oil bubbles, cook till it settles. Once the bubble settles, take out the vada with a slotted laddle. Store the vada on a tissue paper for few seconds to strain the oil. Serve hot with chutney or ketch up or sambhar.
Tip:- Make the batter into donut shapes instead of balls. That is the traditional way. I am bit lazy... so made into balls... :P