First time i am posting a seafood. Learnt this recipe from my mom. The way seafoods are being cooked in chettinad are very spicy and different. I would suggest this as a side dish for a bowl full of creamy curd rice.
Crab - 1/2 kg
Cooking oil - 8 tbs
Mustard seeds + urad dal - 1 tbs
Fennel seeds / Saunf - 1/2 tbs
Curry leaves - few nos
Chopped onion - 3 nos
Chopped tomato - 3 nos
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Chicken masala (or) red chilli powder (or) garam masala - 1/2 tbs (choose the masala powder according to ur taste)
Chopped cilantro - 1 handful
Grated coconut - 3/4 cup
Pepper corns - 4 tbs
Fennel seeds - 1 tbs
- Clean the crab as u like. Some like to have the whole crab, some people like to broke crab into small portions. Wash well the crab in water 2 - 3 times.
- Grind into fine paste the ingredients mentioned under to grind and keep aside. Grind into fine paste the 3/4th portion of chopped onion + all the tomato seperately.
- Heat oil in a pan and add urad dal + mustard seeds, fennel seeds, curry leaves @ 30 sec interval.
- Add remaining 1/4th portion of chopped onion and saute for a min.
- Add onion-tomato paste and saute till the raw smell goes off. Now add the crab and mix well.
- After 2 mins add pepper-coconut paste, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt + 3 cups of water.
- Cook in medium flame till u get a tight gravy consistency.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro and serve hot.