Medium spicy recipe, goes well with hot steamed rice / chappathi. Both Channa dal (chick pea) and Green peas can be used for preparing this dish. Cooking this recipe using channa dal tastes like lamb !
1. Green peas - 1 cup (soak the peas overnight in water)
2. Cooking oil - 4 tbs
3. Mustard seeds + urad dal (white lentil) - 1/2 tbs
4. Curry leaves - 4 nos
5. Big brown onion - 2 tbs (sliced)
6. Tomato - 1 no (chopped)
7. Tamarind juice - 1/4 cup
8. Sambhar powder or any masala powder - 3 tbs
9. Salt to taste
10. Chopped cilantro for garnishing
1. Big brown onion - 1/2 (sliced) or small onion - 10 nos (small onions are prefered for this dish)
2. Cumin seeds - 1/2 tbs
3. Khaskhas / Opium poppy (கசகசா) - 1/2 tbs
4. Grated coconut - 1/4 cup (optional)
1. Wash and cook pattani / green peas in a pressure cooker. Pour enough water till peas get immersed (but not soaked) for cooking. Keep this aside.
2. Heat 1 tbs oil in a pan and saute the ingredients mentioned under to grind except coconut. Saute till onion turns trasparent. Once the sauted ingredients cooles down grind them into a fine paste (dont forget to add coconut while grinding). Keep this aside.
3. Heat remaining oil in the pressure cooker, add mustard seeds, urad dal. Once it pops add curry leaves and onion. Once onion turns trasparent, add tomato and cook till it gets smashed.
4. Now add grinded ingredients, cooked peas, sambhar powder, tamarind juice, salt, 1 cup water (if required) and mix well. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Close the pressure cooker lid and cook in medium flame for 10 mins.
5. Garnish the recipe with chopped cilantro. Serve hot with rice / chappathi.
Tip:- If the gravy wants to be very thick do not add water other than used for cooking peas.
குய்க் இனிப்பு பணியாரம்
4 years ago